Romeo was originally known as Indian Village, dating back to a time when it served as a winter campground for a band of Chippewa Indians. Asahel Bailey was one of the first settlers, arriving in Romeo in 1822, and soon, others followed. The Village of Romeo was platted and named in 1830 and incorporated in 1838. Over the course of the next several decades, more families arrived, homes and businesses were established, and the village began to take shape. This book tells the story of Romeo’s evolution from a humble pioneer settlement to a modern community which now welcomes 250,000 visitors to its spectacular Peach Festival each year.
About the Author
Author David McLaughlin, a 40-year resident of Romeo, is a member of the Romeo Historical Society and the Romeo Arts and Archives Center. His articles have appeared in the Romeo Observer and the Detroit music monthly Jam Rag since 1995, and he has published two books on local music, Mother’s and Others and Rockin’ at the Limberlost.