to break out an Ohmmeter and a soldering iron. The PC First-Aid Kit explains in plain English how to diagnose and repair the most common computer problems--within minutes. It demonstrates super-quick work-arounds for both hardware and software problems. And it offers streetwise advice for getting your money's worth when a trip to the repair shop is unavoidable.
The PC First-Aid Kit reveals:
- how to bullet-proof configuration files
- how to bring a dead hard drive back to life
- when to repair a printer--and when to punt it
- how to save money on replacement memory, monitors and more
- 50 life-saving DOS commands
- how to make Windows print anything
- the telltale signs of a sleazy repair shop
- how to search out, destroy and recover from viruses
- tricks for warding off future disasters
- step-by-step procedures for replacing memory, add-in cards, power supplies, and other components
- how to decipher and solve cryptic DOS error messages
- how to diagnose and disentangle memory conflicts.