With easy-to-read, in-depth descriptions of disease, disease etiology, and disease processes, Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children, 7th Edition helps you understand the most important and the most complex pathophysiology concepts. More than 1,200 full-color illustrations and photographs make it easier to identify normal anatomy and physiology, as well as alterations of function. This edition includes a NEW Epigenetics and Disease chapter along with additional What’s New boxes highlighting the latest advances in pathophysiology. Written by well-known educators Kathryn McCance and Sue Huether, and joined by a team of expert contributors, this resource is the most comprehensive and authoritative pathophysiology text available!
- Over 1,200 full-color illustrations and photographs depict the clinical manifestations of disease and disease processes — more than in any other pathophysiology text.
- A fully updated glossary includes 1,000 terms, and makes lookup easier by grouping together similar topics and terms.
- Outstanding authors Kathryn McCance and Sue Huether have extensive backgrounds as researchers and instructors, and utilize expert contributors, consultants, and reviewers in developing this edition.
- Chapter summary reviews provide concise synopses of the main points of each chapter.
- Consistent presentation of diseases includes pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment.
- Lifespan content includes ten separate pediatric chapters and special sections with aging and pediatrics content.
- Algorithms and flowcharts of diseases and disorders make it easy to follow the sequential progression of disease processes.
- Nutrition and Disease boxes explain the link between concepts of health promotion and disease.
- EXTENSIVELY Updated content reflects advances in pathophysiology including tumor biology invasion and metastases, the epidemiology of cancer, diabetes mellitus, insulin resistance, thyroid and adrenal gland disorders, female reproductive disorders including benign breast diseases and breast cancer, and a separate chapter on male reproductive disorders and cancer.
- NEW! Chapter on epigenetics and disease.
- Additional What’s New boxes highlight the most current research and clinical development.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||243 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Sue E. Huether, RN, PhD
Table of Contents
PART ONE: CENTRAL CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY: CELLS AND TISSUES Unit I: The Cell 1. Cellular Biology 2. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology 3. The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases Unit II: Genes and Gene-Environment Interaction 4. Genes and Genetic Diseases 5. Genes, Environment-Lifestyle, and Common Diseases 6. Epigenetics and Disease NEW! Unit III: Mechanisms of Self-Defense 7. Innate Immunity: Inflammation 8. Adaptive Immunity 9. Alterations in Immunity and Inflammation 10. Infection 11. Stress and Disease Unit IV: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer 12. Cancer Biology 13. Cancer Epidemiology 14. Cancer in Children PART TWO: PATHOPHYSIOLOGIC ALTERATIONS: ORGANS AND SYSTEMS Unit V: The Neurologic System 15. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System 16. Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function 17. Alterations in Cognitive Systems, Cerebral Hemodynamics, and Motor Function 18. Disorders of the Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems and the Neuromuscular Junction 19. Neurobiology of Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders 20. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children Unit VI: The Endocrine System 21. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation 22. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation Unit VII: The Reproductive Systems 23. Structure and Function of the Reproductive Systems 24. Alterations of the Female Reproductive System 25. Alterations of the Male Reproductive System 26. Sexually Transmitted Infections Unit VIII: The Hematologic System 27. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System 28. Alterations of Erythrocyte Function 29. Alterations of Leukocyte, Lymphoid, and Hemostatic Function 30. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children Unit IX: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems 31. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems 32. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function 33. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children Unit X: The Pulmonary System 34. Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System 35. Alterations of Pulmonary Function 36. Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children Unit XI: The Renal and Urologic Systems 37. Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems 38. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function 39. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children Unit XII: The Digestive System 40. Structure and Function of the Digestive System 41. Alterations of Digestive Function 42. Alterations of Digestive Function in Children Unit XIII: The Musculoskeletal System 43. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System 44. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function 45. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children Unit XIV: The Integumentary System 46. Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument 47. Alterations of the Integument in Children Unit XV: Multiple Interacting Systems 48. Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Adults 49. Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Children
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
I am a nursing student and I bought this book for additional information on diseases. I find this book easier to read and better structured than the required text I have bought for my nursing classes. The pre and post chapter sections make this book easy to understand and complete!