Pathophysiology: The Biologic Basis for Disease in Adults and Children / Edition 4 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
Well-known for its authoritative and comprehensive coverage, complete treatment of pediatric pathophysiology, and the most extensive illustration program in its field, the 5th edition of this classic book has been extensively revised and updated. Part One presents the general principles of pathophysiology and discusses the influence of the environment and the role of genetics in the development of disease. Part Two, organized by body system, examines normal anatomy and physiology, alterations of function in adults, and alterations of function in children.
• Comprehensive coverage provides unparalleled discussion of disease processes.
• Extensive full-color art program illustrates disease processes and clinical manifestations of diseases.
• Life span content includes ten separate chapters for the pediatric content and special headings for aging content within the structures and functions chapters.
• "What's New?" boxes highlight the most current research and findings.
• "Nutrition and Disease" boxes show evidenced-based links between concepts of health promotion and disease.
• Algorithms throughout the text illustrate the sequential progression of disease processes.
• Detailed chapter outlines with page numbers provide easy access to content and overview of topics.
• Chapter introductions provide a rationale for learning the content about to be presented.
• Consistent presentation of each disease includes epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment.
• Key terms are highlighted in each chapter and listed with page numbers for easy reference and chapter review.
• Chapter summaries provide concise synopses of key points and serve as a built-in content review.
• An "Introduction to Pathophysiology" provides an entrance to the study of disease and defines basic terms.
• More than 90 "What's New?" boxes present the most current research available.
• Includes approximately 310 new full-color illustrations.
• A new companion CD-ROM with over 750 review questions and answers and 20 animations.
• Now includes a comprehensive glossary of approximately 1,200 terms to help students with the often difficult terminology related to pathophysiology.
• Infection content is presented in a separate chapter to better organize content on mechanisms of self-defense.
• Extensive revisions and updates of every chapter, particularly: inflammation and immunity, stress, cancer, pain, the reproductive system, and urinary and renal systems alterations.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||8.74(w) x 11.40(h) x 2.04(d)|
About the Author
Kathryn L. McCance, RN, PhDSue E. Huether, RN, PhD
Table of Contents
Introduction to Pathophysiology
PART ONE: CENTRAL CONCEPTS OF PATHOPHYSIOLOGY CELLS AND TISSUES
Unit I: The Cell
1. Cellular Biology
2. Altered Cellular and Tissue Biology
3. The Cellular Environment: Fluids and Electrolytes, Acids and Bases
Unit II: Genes and Gene-Environment Interaction
4. Genes and Genetic Diseases
5. Genes, Environment-Lifestyle, and Common Diseases
Unit III: Mechanisms of Self-Defense
6. Innate Immunity: Inflammation
7. Adaptive Immunity
8. Alterations in Immunity and Inflammation
10. Stress and Disease
Unit IV: Cellular Proliferation: Cancer
11. Biology of Cancer
12. Tumor Invasion and Metastasis
13. Cancer in Children
PART TWO: PATHOPHYSIOLOGIC ALTERATIONS: ORGANS AND SYSTEMS
Unit V: The Neurologic System
14. Structure and Function of the Neurologic System
15. Pain, Temperature Regulation, Sleep, and Sensory Function
16. Concepts of Neurologic Dysfunction
17. Disorders of Neurologic Function
18. Neurobiology of Schizophrenia, Mood Disorders, and Anxiety Disorders
19. Alterations of Neurologic Function in Children
Unit VI: The Endocrine System
20. Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation
21. Alterations of Hormonal Regulation
Unit VII: The Reproductive Systems
22. Structure and Function of the Reproductive System
23. Alterations of the Reproductive System
24. Sexually Transmitted Infections
Unit VIII: The Hematologic System
25. Structure and Function of the Hematologic System
26. Alterations of Erythrocyte Function
27. Alterations of Leukocyte, Lymphoid, and Hemostatic Function
28. Alterations of Hematologic Function in Children
Unit IX: The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
29. Structure and Function of the Cardiovascular and Lymphatic Systems
30. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function
31. Alterations of Cardiovascular Function in Children
Unit X: The Pulmonary System
32. Structure and Function of the Pulmonary System
33. Alterations of Pulmonary Function
34. Alterations of Pulmonary Function in Children
Unit XI: The Renal and Urologic System
35. Structure and Function of the Renal and Urologic Systems
36. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function
37. Alterations of Renal and Urinary Tract Function in Children
Unit XII: The Digestive System
38. Structure and Function of the Digestive System
39. Alterations of Digestive Function
40. Alterations of Digestive Function in Children
Unit XIII: The Musculoskeletal System
41. Structure and Function of the Musculoskeletal System
42. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function
43. Alterations of Musculoskeletal Function in Children
Unit XIV: The Integumentary System
44. Structure, Function, and Disorders of the Integument
45. Alterations of the Integument in Children
Unit XV: Multiple Interacting Systems
46. Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Adults
47. Shock, Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, and Burns in Children
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
Others that have rated this book poorly didn't have much nursing background. This book is not appropriate for the student who hasn't completed a year of nursing school. Otherwise it is an good reference book but not the one I turn to the most.