The Prayer of Jesus, or the Lord's Prayer, is among Christianity's most beloved teachings, a daily devotion practiced by Christians everywhere. If we could travel back in time to the ancient Holy Land and witness Jesus himself speaking and meditating upon these words, what would we learn?
On Original Prayer, acclaimed teacher and author Dr. Neil Douglas-Klotz immerses us in the language and philosophy of Jesus's world to reveal a practice with the power to change forever the way we experience sacred scripture. Neil Douglas-Klotz begins by revealing the rich layers of meaning enfolded within the Lord's Prayer in Aramaicthe language that Jesus and his disciples actually spoke.
Through his insightful Aramaic translations, Douglas-Klotz opens a window into the Lord's Prayer that allows us to hear and understand the teachings of Jesus as he authentically taught them 2,000 years ago. A way to experience scripture directly, through the body verse-by-verse, Original Prayer guides us through a series of 24 specific practices of body prayerthe original Middle Eastern form of meditation that uses chant, breathing, and awareness to engage the entire body and spirit in contemplation of scripture.
These are the same kinds of devotions used by the first Christians to delve into the Gospels not as a scholarly exercise but as a living and breathing experience of God. In the fertile spiritual landscape of the ancient Middle East, prayer, meditation, and scriptural study were practiced as a single contemplative path. Now, with Original Prayer, you have within your reach the definitive resource for experiencing this luminous practice, using one of the most enduring cornerstones of the Christian faiththe Lord's Prayer.
Learn More About:
- What Jesus actually saidthe Lord's Prayer restored to its original meaning and language
- Body prayer visualizations, chants, and awareness practices from the ancient Middle East
- Ripeness, timing, and the cycles of the earththe natural cosmology of Jesus
- How to create qadash, or holy spaciousnessan inner sanctuary where blessings can fill us
- Our Father or our Mother? How Jesus saw and worshiped God
- Breathwork to unite nature, the body, and the spirit
- God's willentraining your heart with the heart of Creation
- Forgivenessa meditation to shift the burden off your own shoulders and into the realm of spirit
- Lachma, the daily bread of understandingcontemplations to nourish the body, heart, soul, and spirit
- More than eight hours of meditation and study about the Lord's Prayer, as it was meant to be experienced
|Publisher:||Sounds True, Incorporated|
|Product dimensions:||6.60(w) x 7.53(h) x 1.00(d)|
About the Author
Neil Douglas-Klotz, PhD, (Saadi Shakur Chishti) is a world-renowned scholar in religious studies, spirituality, and psychology. Living in Edinburgh, Scotland, he directs the Edinburgh Institute for Advanced Learning, and for many years was co-chair of the Mysticism Group of the American Academy of Religion. He is also co-founder of the international Network of the Dances of Universal Peace.
A frequent speaker and workshop leader, he is the author of several books, including Prayers of the Cosmos, The Hidden Gospel, The Genesis Meditations, The Sufi Book of Life, Blessings of the Cosmos and The Tent of Abraham (with Rabbi Arthur Waskow and Sr. Joan Chittister). Known also for his citizen diplomacy work, in 2004, he co-founded the Edinburgh International Festival of Middle Eastern Spirituality and Peace. In 2005, he was awarded the Kessler-Keener Foundation Peacemaker of the Year award for his work in Middle Eastern peacemaking. For more information on communities worldwide in which his work is shared, visit The Abwoon Resource Center.