For the beginner or the devotee—it's everything the classical music buff needs to know.
- The major composers from Bach and Bartok to Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky
- Significant performers from Maurice Andre and Leornard Bernstein to Georg Solti and Yo Yo Ma
- The landmark works from Appalachian Spring to Don Juan
- A concise history of classical music
- A deconstruction of the art form
- The language of classical music
- Valuable resources for the Curious Listener
|Publisher:||Penguin Publishing Group|
|Sold by:||Penguin Group|
|File size:||358 KB|
|Age Range:||18 Years|
About the Author
Tim Smith is currently the music critic for the Baltimore Sun. He has written music criticism and other articles for the Washington Post, Washington Star, The New York Times, BBC Music Magazine, Chamber Music America, and others.
Table of Contents
|1.||What Is Classical Music?||1|
|2.||The Story of Classical Music||7|
|3.||Varieties of Classical Music||33|
|4.||Classical Music Deconstructed||51|
|8.||Classical Music on CD||191|
|9.||The Language of Classical Music||215|
|Resources for Curious Listeners||227|
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
The NPR Curious Listener's Guide to Classical Music based on 0 ratings. 4 reviews.
I was a little disappointed in this book. I am not sure what i expected. It is concise and if you now nothing about classical music, it could be helpful. It does give you a short idea of what to listen to and why.