Publisher's Note: Products purchased from Third Party sellers are not guaranteed by the publisher for quality, authenticity, or access to any online entitlements included with the product.
Completely updated to reflect the massive changes to healthcare law!
Medical Billing and Coding Demystified clearly explains the practices used by medical offices, hospitals, and healthcare facilities to encode medical services in order to receive payment from government agencies and insurance companies. Like other entries in this bestselling series, this self-teaching guide uses a building-block approach that allows readers to learn at their own pace and test themselves along the way. No previous medical or accounting training or experience is necessary to benefit from Medical Billing and Coding Demystified, and the book can be used as a classroom textbook or as a complement to larger texts.This new edition offers detailed coverage of the sweeping revisions that have taken place in healthcare law, including the transition from ICD9 to ICD10 coding and the Patient Protection and Affordable Healthcare Acts. It also includes an important overview of medical billing software.
- Includes valuable learning aids such as end-of-chapter quizzes, a final exam, and key points
- Different from similar books on the market in that it explains basic medical concepts enabling the reader to actually understand the procedures and tests they are billing and coding for
About the Author
Donya Johnson is a dedicated and accomplished healthcare professional with over 25 years of hospital and physician practice experience. She has also served as an Adult Healthcare Education Instructor at several facilities, where she taught courses in Billing and Coding, Medical Law and Ethics, and Medical Terminology. Donya has also served as a healthcare consultant, designing and implementing process and application training for contracted hospital departments. In her current position, she's responsible for the creation, direction, and delivery of the training needs for Sutherland Healthcare Solutions.
Jim Keogh, MSN, RN-BC is a Board Certified Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse who has previously written or co-written over 20 nursing titles in McGraw-Hill's Demystified and Schaum's Outline series. Jim currently teaches courses at New York University and Saint Peter’s College, New Jersey.
Marilyn Burgos is owner of Vida Wellness, a holistic wellness studio in Clifton, NJ. She started working in the medical field as a Medical Assistant and Billing/Coding Specialist in 1996 and has since become a Personal Fitness Trainer and Pilates Instructor.
Table of Contents1. Introduction to billing and coding
2. Ethical and Legal Aspects of Medical Billing
3. Medical Terminology and Procedures
4. Medical Office Procedures
5. Introduction to Procedural Coding
6. Introduction to Insurance Plans
7. The Insurance Claim Cycle
8. Billing and Coding Errors: How to Avoid Them
9. Strategies for Handling Claim Disputes
10. Medical Transportation
11. Medical Practice
12. Medical Billing Software Programs and Systems
13. Finding Employment in the Healthcare Industry