Manual of Equine Reproduction / Edition 2 available in Paperback
- Pub. Date:
- Elsevier Health Sciences
Written by acknowledged experts in the field, this authoritative text presents a comprehensive overview of reproductive management of horses, including management of stallions, pregnant mares, and neonatal foals. Discussions are concise and practical, with detailed information on techniques used in reproductive examination, breeding procedures, pregnancy diagnosis, foaling, and reproductive tract surgery. This outstanding 2nd edition features a new chapter on the use of breeding records to evaluate stallion fertility and improve management of breeding stallions. High-quality photographs and line drawings, many new to this edition, clearly depict procedures.
New to the second edition!
All chapters have been updated to present the latest information on every subject, including:
* Discussion of the use of GnRH-analog deslorelin (Ovuplant) to hasten ovulation
* Aseptic technique for endometrial biopsy
* Use of transabdominal ultrasonography, especially in early pregnancy
* Determination of fetal gender by transrectal ultrasonography
* Causes and treatment of uterine rupture
* New sepsis scoring system to accurately predict sepsis
* Ground semen collection procedure described and illustrated ¡V using an artificial vagina
* Ultrasound techniques used to detect intratesticular masses, evaluate accessory genital glands, explore for undescended testis, and confirm secretions from the prostate, ampullae, and ductus deferens
* Aspiration testicular biopsy using a spring-loaded biopsy instrument
* New containers for transporting cooled semen through airport security with heightened radiation exposure
* New technique for castration that involves removing the bottom of the scrotum to provide better drainage results and fewer complications
* New section on laparoscopic castration
* Procedure for treating hematuria in geldings
* Procedure for surgical embryo transfer
And a whole lot more!
• Essential background is provided on breeding records, for a complete understanding of their importance in evaluating stallion performance - with particular emphasis on how to modify breeding management to optimize fertility.
• Learning Objectives at the beginning of each chapter and Review Questions at the end of each chapter help reinforce key points.
• The straightforward textbook format is logically organized to guide the reader through a complete course of study.
• Complete information on reproductive physiology and artificial insemination is included.
• Practical discussions cover topics related to horse breeding, such as reproductive management, breeding with transported cooled and frozen semen, and care of broodmares and newborn foals.
• Ultrasound techniques used to detect intratesticular masses, evaluate accessory genital glands, explore for undescended testis, and confirm secretions from the prostate, ampullae, and ductus deferens
• Aspiration testicular biopsy using a spring-loaded biopsy instrument
• New containers for transporting cooled semen through airport security with heightened radiation exposure
• New technique for castration that involves removing the bottom of the scrotum to provide better drainage results and fewer complications
• New section on laparoscopic castration
• Procedure for treating hematuria in geldings
• Procedure for surgical embryo transfer
• Numerous new illustrations enhance discussions and clarify specific techniques.
• A new chapter (18) discusses the use of breeding records to evaluate stallion fertility and improve management of breeding stallions.
|Publisher:||Elsevier Health Sciences|
|Product dimensions:||8.30(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.60(d)|
Table of Contents
• Reproductive Anatomy of the Mare
• Reproductive Anatomy of the Stallion
• Management of Estrual Mares
• Breeding Soundness Examination in Mares
• Transrectal Ultrasonography in Broodmare Practice
• Pregnancy: Physiology and Diagnosis
• Fetal Loss
• Management of Pregnant and Postpartum Mares
• Dystocia and Postpartum Disease
• Management of Neonatal Foals
• Breeding Soundness Examination of the Stallion
• Semen Collection and Artificial Insemination
• Semen Preservation
• Reproductive Tract Surgery in Mares
• Reproductive Tract Surgery in Stallions
• Embryo Transfer
• Evaluation of Breeding Records
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
This book is a 'must have' for vet students who are interested in equine repro and I have seen it on the shelf of many equine clinicians. The downside: it falls apart days after purchase. So, for anybody who wants to add this to their library in a barn or on the vet truck - forget it or think of some way to preserve the book before all pages fall out on you.