Before making a purchase please drop by http://smartenglishcn.wordpress.com/ or http://andysmart01.tumblr.com/ and have a look at the sample material provided.
Also note that there is a free book of PDF printables available when you buy it. This can be obtained by using the code and e-mail address in Chapter 5.
Kick-Ass Lesson Plans: TEFL Discussion Questions & Activities China is a complete set of lesson plans giving 80% student talk time, while delivering great classes with a sense of humour that your students will love. You can simply march into class and use the material directly, with the only prep work needed being to read up for half an hour the night before. Material is specific to the PRC from Andy Smart's extensive role delivering spoken English classes across the country.
With Kick-Ass DQA you will find 23 two hour lesson plans covered by the following topics:
Part 1: Media and Communication
2. Show Biz
4. Computers and the Internet
6. The News
Part 2: The Natural World
7. The Earth
8. The Sea
9. The Air
10. Space and the Planets
11. The Environment
12. The Weather
13. Natural Disasters
14. Animals and Pets
Part 3: Society
17. Social Problems
18. The Law
19. War and Unnatural Disasters
Each topic contains the lesson plan, teacher's notes, additional questions & activities plus printable material such as flash cards for role-play.
Also find information for new teachers:
• Office Management: Useful information on how to deal with Chinese management systems in English language centres
• Students: Advice on how to help your class achieve the best results in their spoken English.
• The Teacher: Identifying the ideal goals for you as a teacher and how to maintain a professional approach.
• Classroom Management: Handy tips on how organise to your classroom efficiently, maximizing the degree of learning by your students.
• About the Lesson Plans: A step by step guide on how to run through each topic
• During Class: A few tips on how to bring extra energy and life into your classes
Smart English DQA China can be used by the following teachers:
• Already established teachers who need to bring new ideas and approaches to their existing lesson plans.
• New teachers who haven't taught in China before.
• Foreign students who travel to China for their further education. Many are preoccupied with college study rather than seriously planning as an English teacher. In this respect these ready-made lesson plans are ideal.
• IELTS and TOEFL teachers who have to teach spoken English classes.
• Backpackers who are travelling through China and invited to teach English on a temporary basis. For the tourist who is unable to prepare for a class from their hotel room these lesson plans will be extremely useful.