Sometimes referred to as a "miracle diet," the ketogenic diet has helped doctors treat difficult-to-control epileptic seizures in thousands of children. Coauthored by four respected experts from Johns Hopkins, Ketogenic Diets continues to be the definitive guide for parents, physicians, and dieticians wanting to implement this strict diet. Anyone who is placed on the Ketogenic Diet will be told, essentially "prescribed" by their doctor to get this book.
This Fifth Edition has been extensively updated to reflect current advances in understanding how the diet works, how it should be used, and the future role of the diet as a treatment. Six new chapters address how to integrate the diet into all cultures, religions, and taste preferences; new information on modified and less restrictive versions of the diet, and the Modified Atkins Diet for Epilepsy are included. The book also covers exciting new research that shows the diet may work for people with other neurological illnesses.
This best-seller also includes sample meal plans, a food database, how to calculate foods, and much more.
|Publisher:||Springer Publishing Company|
|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||5 MB|
About the Author
Table of ContentsSECTION 1: Overview of the Traditional Ketogenic Diet
1. Epilepsy Today and the Place of the Ketogenic Diet in the World
2. What is the Ketogenic Diet?
3. History of the Ketogenic Diet
4. How Does the Ketogenic Diet Work?
5. Is my Child a Candidate for the Ketogenic Diet?
6. The diet for all Cultures, Religions, and Food Preferences
SECTION 2: The ABCs of the Ketogenic Diet
7. Initiating the Ketogenic Diet: To Fast or To Admit?
8. Calculating the Ketogenic Diet
9. KetoCalculator;10. All Those Crazy Supplements!
SECTION 3: Life on the Ketogenic Diet
11. The Expert Consensus Statement and You
12. Fine-tuning the Ketogenic Diet?
13. Parent Support Groups and the Internet
14. Side Effects of the Ketogenic Diet
15. Making it Work at Home and On the Road
16. Going Off the Ketogenic Diet
SECTION 4: Modified Ketogenic Diets
17. When and Why Should I Use These "Alternative" Diets?
18. The Modified Atkins Diet: History and Future Directions
19. How do I Use the Modified Atkins Diet?
20. The MCT Diet
21. The LGIT (Low-Glycemic Index Treatment)
SECTION 5: Ketogenic Cooking
22. Sample Meal Plans for the Ketogenic Diet
23. Modified Atkins Diet Meal Plans and Recipes
SECTION 6: The Future of Diets and the Brain
24. Can the diet be Used Before Medications?
25. Adults and Diets
26. Diets and other Neurologic Conditions
SECTION 7: Appendices
B. Johns Hopkins Order Entry for Ketogenic Diet Admission
C. Sample letter of Medical Necessity
D. Food Database
E. Atkins Carbohydrate Gram Counter
F. Selected References
G. International Centers