Read an Excerpt
Begin about 1 hour
3 medium-sized cooking apples (about 1 pound)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
5 large egg whites
- Peel apples; cut into quarters; with sharp knife, remove cores.
- Cut apples into bite-sized chunks. In 2-quart saucepan over high heat, heat apples and 1/4 cup water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender. Stir in sugar and almond extract. Remove saucepan from heat; refrigerate apple mixture in saucepan to cool.
- Preheat oven to 4500 F. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- With rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold egg whites into cooled apple mixture until evenly incorporated.
- Spoon mixture into 1 1/2-quart souffli dish.
- Bake 15 minutes or until souffli is puffy and lightly browned.
When souffli is done, remove from oven and sprinkle top lightly with confectioners' sugar; serve immediately.
Copyright )1991 by Dorling Kindersley Limited and The Hearst Corporation
Table of Contents
|Mousses and Souffles||10|
|Custards and Creams||20|
|Crepes and Blintzes||46|
|Cakes and Tortes||82|
|Pies, Tarts, Pastries, and Hot Fruit Desserts||147|
|Hot Fruit Desserts||214|
|Useful Information and Basic Recipes||273|
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
The recipes in this cookbook are easy to follow and create professional looking desserts sure to impress your family and friends. I wore out my first copy and have repeatedly purchased it as gifts for friends.
This book has tasty recipes and wonderful color photos of them! It's a must have for all bakers!
The photos are great because they show what the things look like before they decoorate them so you know you are okay. It has really good and simple easy to follow instructions on how to create the decorations and garnishes for all of the recipes. It is a great book at a reasonable price.
The wide variety of dessert possibilities is what drew me to this book. Although it is definitely not for the beginning baker or cake decorator. It's step by step instructions will help you prepare a dessert that will be the talk (positive) of any get together. Some of the basic things, like how to check a cheesecake to see if its ready to take out of the oven are missing on the individual recipes. And as I said some of the decorating ideas are a step above the beginner. But try the Prailine Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe ... It alone is worth the cost of the book, (OH and the sour cherry pie is delicious!).
I have a collection of cookbooks and I still turn to this one anytime a dessert is needed. I have received numerous compliments over the years on every recipe I ever tried from this book. With easy step by step directions anyone can make these great desserts.
This book is a must have for everyone who enjoys desserts. Every receipe has a picture so you know what the end result SHOULD be. It also illustrates more difficult techniques, garnishes, (veggie, fruit and chocolate) and a helpful information section of terms and basics. I can't wait to get Volume II.