Like stalwart soldiers standing silent guard, the mighty fortresses of Savannah once served as guardians over the new colony of Georgia. In 1733, Gen. James Oglethorpe, upon stepping ashore in this new world, authorized fortifications to be constructed to protect her new residents. Forts and townships now known only in name defended Georgia's first citizens against the Native Americans and the Spanish. Later they would stand a much greater challenge protecting them against more aggressive foes-the British, the Union Army, and ultimately, the Third Reich of Germany. Through vintage photographs of these magnificent architectural structures and the faces of devoted soldiers who once stood upon their ramparts, readers will feel as if they too were standing a vigilant watch, looking across the vast marshes and rivers surrounding Savannah. The images within these pages celebrate and honor the fortresses that allowed Savannah to prosper and expand from a colonial outpost to the majestic queen city of Georgia.
About the Author
John Walker Guss, a graduate of the University of Georgia and a standing member in the Directors Guild of America, is currently the site assistant manager at Fort James Jackson, National Historic Landmark. Through extensive research and interviews with local historians he has rediscovered many forts which are quickly disappearing into the grounds from which they arose. His deep passion for military history has drawn him to publishing the first collective pictorial history of all the fortifications around Savannah, including those that stand today and those that once stood over 200 years ago. Fortresses of Savannah is a must-have for military history enthusiasts and Savannahians of all ages.