Need a solid foundation in fluids and electrolytes but finding this complex subject difficult to permeate? Here's the solution! Fluids and Electrolytes Demystified makes everything so easy to understand, you'll feel like you're learning through osmosis.
Written by a nursing professor, this accessible guide explains, clearly and concisely, the key elements underlying fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base balance and imbalances. You will learn about the various health conditions related to imbalances and get details on diagnostic testing, regulators, and treatment options. Useful charts and key terms throughout help you to remember important concepts. Complete with end-of-chapter quizzes to test your knowledge, this book will teach you the fundamentals of fluids and electrolytes in no time at all.
Simple enough for a beginner, but challenging enough for an advanced student, Fluids and Electrolytes Demystified is your shortcut to mastering this essential nursing topic.
This fast and easy guide offers:
- Learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter
- An NCLEX-style quiz at the end of each chapter to reinforce learning and pinpoint weaknesses
- Causes and symptoms of fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base imbalance-related conditions
- Coverage of diagnostic tests and treatment options
- A time-saving approach to performing better on an exam or at work
About the Author
Joyce Y. Johnson, PhD, RN, CCRN, is Dean and Professor of Nursing at Albany State University. The author of multiple best-selling nursing books (including Smith-Temple/Johnson, Nurse’s Guide to Clinical Procedures), Dr. Johnson is well-known for her ability to break down the most difficult nursing topics into easy-to-understand lessons.
Table of ContentsFluids and Electrolytes Demystified 1. Key elements underlying fluid, electrolytes and acid-base balance
2. General nursing assessments and diagnostic tests related to fluid, electrolyte and acid-base balance
3. Fluid Volume Imbalances
4. Sodium Imbalances
5. Potassium Imbalances
6. Calcium Imbalances
7. Magnesium Imbalances
8. Phosphorus Imbalances
9. Acid-Base Imbalances
10. General Conditions related to Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalances
11. Renal Conditions
12. Gastrointestinal Conditions
13. Heart Failure
16. Diabetic Hyperosmolar Syndrome
17. Burn Injury
18. Oncologic Conditions
19. Endocrine Conditions
20. Other conditions effecting/effected by fluid-electrolyte and acid-base imbalances: Surgery, Head Injury