|Sold by:||Barnes & Noble|
|File size:||44 MB|
|Note:||This product may take a few minutes to download.|
About the Author
Dr. Lucio Buratto graduated with degrees in medicine and surgery from the University of Milan where he also specialized in clinical ophthalmology.
As an eye surgeon, Dr. Buratto specializes in the surgical treatment of cataract; he also specializes in refractive surgery (correction of myopia, astigmatism, and hyperopia); for his work in both sectors, he has earned international acclaim.
The principal milestones of his professional career follow:
- He was one of the first surgeons in Europe to perform Kelman’s phacoemulsification, a technique for cataract extraction that is still considered to be the most sophisticated surgical method today.
- In parallel, he started using artificial lenses for insertion in the posterior chamber following phacoemulsification.
- Subsequently, he performed sutureless cataract surgery and began implanting foldable artificial lenses.
- He published the first book on modern cataract surgery that, for many years, was considered to be the Italian “bible” for this type of surgery; in the years that followed, he published a number of other books dealing with the same topic.
- He was the first surgeon worldwide to suggest and use the excimer laser inside the cornea for the treatment of severe myopia (a technique now known as LASIK). Subsequently, he began treating mild myopia with surface techniques (PRK).
- He then invented and was the first surgeon worldwide to use the new LASIK down-up technique, a major improvement to the original LASIK procedure for the correction of myopia.
- He holds the US patent for this technique.He was appointed by the US FDA to monitor studies involving some new artificial lenses.
- Due to his groundbreaking innovations in the field of eye surgery, he was nominated “Maestro dell’Oftalmologia Italiana” by the Italian Ophthalmology Society.
- He was presented with the highest international award for a refractive surgeon–the “Barraquer” award–for his research and innovative developments to laser refractive surgery.In 2002, he published Phacoemulsification: Principles and Techniques in English and Spanish, a book that proved to be an international bestseller.He received the Award Certificate issued by the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
- In 2006, he was the first surgeon in Europe to transplant a cornea using the Intralase femtosecond laser.Each year in Milan, he organizes the most important Italian conference on cataract surgery with the participation of the most renowned international surgeons.
- He has participated in 370 Italian and international conferences as speaker and lecturer and has organized 54 teaching courses specific for cataract surgery.
- He has been included in the Italian Who’s Who listing since 1984.
- He has performed many thousands of cataract and refractive surgeries.
He is a past President of the Associazione Italiana di Chirurgia della Cataratta e Chirurgia Refrattiva (Italian Association of Cataract and Refractive Surgery).
He is the current honorary president of AISO, Accademia Italiana di Scienze Oftalmologiche (Italian Academy of Ophthalmology Sciences).
Table of Contents
Foreword by Umberto Veronesi
Introduction: A proper diet means loving oneself
Part I Dietary Prevention
Eugenio Del Toma
Chapter 1 Guidelines, food pyramids, and other advice
Chapter 2 Cereals, beans, fruits, and vegetables: the antioxidants
Chapter 3 How much fat, which type of fat
Chapter 4 Animal and vegetable proteins
Chapter 5 Sweets and desserts: irresistible temptations (allowed in just the right amounts)
Chapter 6 Reduce salt intake: good advice for everyone
Chapter 7 Alcoholic beverages: a problem of doses
Chapter 8 The benefits of a varied and well-balanced diet
Chapter 9 The fresh versus engineered conflict
Chapter 10 Diet, ideal weight, and body composition
Chapter 11 Nutrogenomic science and our diet
Part II Nutrition and Eye Disease
Chapter 1 The structures of the eyes
More detailed information
Chapter 2 Oxidative stress and the antioxidant systems
More detailed information
Chapter 3 Diet and supplements
Part III Good Cheer at the Table
Mauro Febbrari Defendente
Chapter 1 Good cheer at the table
Part IV Good Food Recipes
Lucio Buratto and Natalya Ushakova
with the collaboration of Riccardo De Prà
Quality and safety when eating
Index of Parts I, II, and III
Index of recipes