Exploring Engineering, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Engineering and Design, winner of a 2017 Textbook Excellence Award (Texty), presents the emerging challenges engineers face in a wide range of areas as they work to help improve our quality of life. In this classic textbook, the authorsexplain what engineers actually do, from the fundamental principles that form the basis of their work to the application ofthat knowledge within a structured design process. The text itself is organized into three parts: Lead-On, Minds-On, Hands-On. This organization allows the authors to give a basic introduction to engineering methods, then show the application of these principles and methods, and finally present a design challenge. This book is an ideal introduction for anyone interested in exploring the various fields of engineering and learning how engineers work to solve problems.
- Winner of a 2017 Textbook Excellence Award (Texty) from the Textbook & Academic Authors Association
- NEW: Chapters on Aeronautical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, and Design Teams
- NEW: Expanded content in the chapters "Defining the Problem," "Generation of 'Alternative Concepts'," and "Detailed Design"
- NEW: Material on sustainability issues in engineering
- Introduces students to the engineering profession, emphasizing the fundamental physical, chemical, and material bases for all engineering work
- Includes an Engineering Ethics Decision Matrix used throughout the book to pose ethical challenges and explore decision-making in an engineering context
- Lists of "Top Engineering Achievements" and "Top Engineering Challenges" help put the material in context and show engineering as a vibrant discipline involved in solving societal problems
- Companion Web site includes links to several new drawing supplements, including "Free-hand Engineering Sketching," (detailed instructions on free-hand engineering sketching); "AutoCAD Introduction," (an introduction to the free AutoCAD drawing software); and "Design Projects,"(new freshman-level design projects that complement the "Hands-On" part of the textbook).
|Edition description:||New Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.70(w) x 9.30(h) x 1.20(d)|
Table of Contents
Part 1. Lead-On
1. What Engineers Do 2. Elements of Engineering Analysis 3. Force and Motion 4. Energy 5. Engineering Economics
Part 2. Minds-On
6. Aeronautical Engineering 7. Chemical Engineering 8. Civil Engineering 9. Computer Engineering 10. Electrical Engineering 11. Industrial Engineering 12. Manufacturing Engineering 13. Materials Engineering 14. Mechanical Engineering 15. Nuclear Engineering 16. Biomechanical Engineering 17. Electrochemical Engineering 18. Green Energy Engineering
Part 3. Hands-On
19. Introduction to Engineering Design 20. Design Teams 21. Design Step 1. Defining the Problem 22. Design Step 2. Generation of Alternative Concepts 23. Design Step 3. Evaluation of Alternatives and Selection of a Concept 24. Design Step 4. Detailed Design 25. Design step 5. Design Defense 26. Design Step 6. Manufacturing and Testing 27. Design Step 7. Performance Evaluation 28. Design Step 8. Design Report 29. Examples of Design Competitions 30. Closing Remarks on the Important Role of Design Projects