About the Author
Max Harrison is a musicologist who reviewed for The Times and The Gramophone from 1967-90, has written widely on jazz, and contributed to the 1980 edition of The New Grove Dictionary of Music and other reference works.
Charles Fox (deceased) was a broadcaster and reviewer. He was the host of "Jazz Today," a weekly British radio program.
Eric Thacker (deceased) was a clergyman, with a long-standing interest in jazz.
Table of Contents
2. The Twenties: Variations on the New Orleans Style
3. The Twenties: Styles other than New Orleans
4. Jazz in Europe
5. Interlude: The Influence of jazz on European composers
6. The Thirties and Swing
7. Against the current: Traditional survivals and revivals
8. The transition to modern jazz