Keep legal costs to a minimum by doing it yourself!
" . . . will enable small-business people to save a lot of moneyby doing simple legal matters (contracts, partnership agreements)on their own."
Charles Fuller Editor of Business Products, EntrepreneurMagazine Group
Don't let crippling legal fees stop you from realizing yourdreams of success. Learn how to handle many of your own legalmatters with the Entrepreneur Magazine Small Business LegalGuide. Barbara S. Shea, founder of the celebrated alternativelegal counseling firm Court Coach, and Jennifer Haupt help you cutyour legal fees significantly by arming you with all the basiclegal knowledge and expert guidance you need to act as your ownattorney in appropriate situations. A valuable resource fornewcomers and established business owners alike, it covers legalissues crucial to every stage of a business's life cycle,including:
* Legal terminologywhat it means and how to use it
* Statutes, regulations, and case law
* How to think analytically like a lawyer and apply the law tothe facts
* Filing forms of organization and capitalizing yourbusiness
* Negotiating leases and contracts
* The ins and outs of taxes, employee rights, and claimslitigation
* The legalities of bankruptcy and the protection of personalassets
* How to find a good lawyer and get the most out of legalassistance
* Much more Offering an easy, safe, and affordable way to keepyour legal costs to a minimum, the Entrepreneur Magazine SmallBusiness Legal Guide just might be the most important capitalinvestment you make this year.
Also available from the Entrepreneur Magazinelibrary:
* The Entrepreneur Magazine Small Business Advisor
* Starting an Import/Export Business
* Making Money with Your Home Computer
* Starting a Home-Based Business
FREE issue of Entrepreneur Magazine
* 50% Discount on Entrepreneur Magazine subscription
* 1/2 price admission to any Entrepreneur Magazine Small BusinessExpo
* Discount on American Entrepreneurs Association membership
See details and coupons in back of book.
About the Author
ENTREPRENEUR Magazine is the banner publication of theEntrepreneur Magazine Group. It has the largest newsstandcirculation of any business monthly, with a total ABC auditedcirculation of 410,000.
BARBARA S. SHEA is an attorney and the founder of theinnovative legal firm Court Coach. Her ideas have been profiled inThe Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and onABC-TV's The Home Show.
JENNIFER HAUPT is a successful business writer based inBellevue, Washington.
Table of Contents
Partial table of contents:
SETTING UP A SMALL BUSINESS.
Setting Up Your Business to Avoid Legal Pitfalls.
Setting Up a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership.
Insurance: Would You Believe You Need All This?
Franchises, Licenses, and Permits.
THE LEGALITIES OF RUNNING A SMALL BUSINESS.
Demystifying the Tax Basics.
Hiring and Firing Your Staff.
The Other Side of the Fence: Your Rights as an Employer.
The Small Claims Court.
Having Your Day in Court.
CLOSING DOWN A SMALL BUSINESS.
How to Close Up Shop Gracefully.
Avoiding Bankruptcy in the Case of Sudden Death orDisability.
Reclaiming Your Good Financial Name.