This Latin chronicle of the abbey of Evesham was compiled around 1214 by Thomas of Marlborough, abbot from 1230 to 1236. Books 1 and 2, containing the life and miracles of St Egwin, bishop of Worcester (d. 717) and founder of the abbey, were written by a twelfth-century prior, Dominic, and abridged by Thomas, who continued the history of the house to his own time. The chronicle was then extended by unknown authors, the first to 1418 and another to 1539. This edition, published in 1863 by William Dunn Macray (1826-1916), contains both continuations. It also includes several saints' lives that were bound in the same manuscript. The main text, with English side-notes, contains much valuable information on the internal life of the abbey, and on its disputes with the local bishop over visitation rights, concerning which Thomas had to travel to Rome to appeal to the pope.
Table of Contents
Preface; Appendix to preface; Chronicle of Evesham; Appendix 1; Appendix 2; Glossary; Index.