The Young Child in the Family and the Community / Edition 4 available in Paperback
The Young Child in the Family and the Community, Fourth Edition, covers the foundations of socialization in child rearing, caring, and education and discusses the components that are essential to the healthy socialization of children within their families and the community. Based on developmental theory, it focuses on diverse perspectives using short cases, examples, and personal insights from decades of practice. Janet Gonzalez-Mena's engaging writing style easily holds the reader's attention.
New to This Edition
- Substantial expansion of inclusion. More practical suggestions for helping children succeed and gain a sense of belonging through environmental supports and interactions.
- More on partnering with parents. Additional guidelines and suggestions for ways in which professionals can improve communication with parents. New sections and new material in may chapters.
- Broadened coverage of child abuse and neglect. Updated statistics, contributing factors, and implications for teachers.
- Updated coverage of family diversity. Increased and updated coverage of diversity in family composition.
- More on Vygotsky's theories and implications for teaching and learning.
|Edition description:||Older Edition|
|Product dimensions:||7.52(w) x 9.18(h) x 0.73(d)|
Table of Contents
I. THE CHILD: SOCIALIZATION IN A DEVELOPMENTAL CONTEXT.
II. THE FAMILY: SOCIALIZATION FOR HIGH SELF-ESTEEM IN HEALTHY FAMILIES.
5. Goals, Values, and Culture.
6. Childcare: An Extension of the Family.
7. Disciplining for High Self-Esteem.
8. Accepting Feelings.
9. Problem Solving.
10. Strokes and Affirmations: A Path to Self-Esteem.
11. Modeling and Teaching Gender Roles.
12. Stress and Success in Family Life.
III. THE COMMUNITY: SOCIALIZATION IN THE COMMUNITY CONTEXT.
13. Community Resources.
14. Socializing Agents.
15. Social Policy Issues.