The Architect's Studio Companion: Rules of Thumb for Preliminary Design / Edition 4 available in Hardcover
- Pub. Date:
The Architect's Studio Companion is the laborsaving design resource that architects and builders have relied on for years. Now in its fourth edition, this industry standard continues its reputation as a reliable tool for the preliminary selecting, configuring, and sizing of the structural, mechanical, and egress systems of a building. Bestselling authors Edward Allen and Joseph Iano reduce complex engineering and building code information to simple approximations that enable the designer to lay out the fundamental systems of a building in a matter of minutes and get on with the design.
Now in a flex binding that makes it even easier to use, The Architect's Studio Companion, Fourth Edition provides quick access to reliable rules of thumb that offer vital help for selecting, configuring, and sizing:
- Structural systems
- Heating, cooling, and electrical systems
- Egress provisions, including exit stairways, parking garages, and parking lots
- Daylight provisions
The book concludes with precalculated tables of building code height and area limitations.
|Product dimensions:||8.82(w) x 10.98(h) x 1.07(d)|
About the Author
Joseph Iano has been Edward Allen's illustrator, collaborator, and coauthor for more than twenty-five years. He is a registered architect whose experience includes professional practice, teaching design and technology in numerous schools of architecture, and work in the construction trades. Currently, he heads a Seattle firm that provides technical consulting to architects and others in the design and construction industry.
Table of ContentsAcknowledgments.
How to Use This Book.
SECTION 1: DESIGNING WITH BUILDING CODES.
1. Designing With Building Codes.
SECTION 2: DESIGNING THE STRUCTURE.
1. Selecting the Structural System.
2. Configuring the Structural System.
3. Sizing the Structural System.
SECTION 3: DESIGNING WITH DAYLIGHT.
1.Design Criteria For??Daylighting Systems.
2. Configuring and Sizing Daylighting Systems.
SECTION 4: DESIGNING SPACES FOR MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL SERVICES.
1. Selecting Heating and Cooling Systems For Large Buildings.
2. Configuring and Sizing Mechanical and Electrical Services for Large Buildings.
3. Mechanical and Electrical Systems For Small Buildings.
SECTION 5: DESIGNING FOR EGRESS AND ACCESSIBILITY.
1. Configuring the Egress System and Providing Accessible Routes.
2. Sizing the Egress System.
3. Stairway and Ramp Design.
SECTION 6: DESIGNING FOR PARKING.
1. Design Criteria for Parking Facilities.
2. Configuring Parking Facilities.
3. Sizing Parking Facilities.
SECTION 7: DESIGNING WITH HEIGHT AND AREA LIMITATIONS.
1. Height and Area Limitations.
2. Height and Area Tables.
Appendix A: Example Use of This Book.
Appendix B: Units of Conversion.